Moonbyul (MAMAMOO) Facts
- Group MAMAMOO
- Position: Rapper, Vocalist and Dancer
- Ex-Project Group Girls Next Door (2017)
- Position: Leader, Vocalist, Rapper and Dancer
- Some favorite artists: F (x), Taeyeon and TVXQ.
- Nicknames MoonStar, Byulkong.
- When she was a child she was hit by a car. she said: “When I got out of my family’s car, I saw a bug on the ground and I was shocked by it. I called out saying, “Auntie, come look at this. “I had lost my senses and at that moment a mini-bus was coming towards me. I was hit by the mini-bus. The driver was a grandfather who had been drinking. They carried me and took me to the operating room of a hospital. I had to have surgery on my chin and ankle, but luckily I was not seriously injured.”
- In her freshman year of high school she attended SM Academy, looking for an opportunity to get into SM Entertainment.
- Moonbyul knew Wheein from before RBW, they were to debut in another group under another company, but the project dissolved.
- Moonbyul said that when she was looking to become a trainee, she was scammed by a company and excluded from a group of another company for being “overweight”.
- Moonbyul had auditioned at Rainbow Bridge World to become a singer, but in the end they trained her to be a rapper. Moonbyul even commented that if she had not agreed to be a rapper, she might not have debuted with Mamamoo.
- At 2018 the fans were asked to find the key chains in specific places previously explained by Moonbyul.
- I am carrying out a small project for the fans in December 2019, under the title Miracle 3 days before Christmas, consisted of 3 parts
- Between December 21-22, Moonbyul held an exhibition for MooMoos. A total of 800 Moos were able to attend the idol’s photogram exhibition for free at Gallery Min located in Gangnam. Moonbyul commented “I wanted to give back to the MooMoos who always send good wishes for my birthday So I worked hard with the staff to organize this project! It’s a really small gift in comparison, but it was prepared with all my heart while thinking about MooMoos. So, please show a lot of interest.
- From December 19, 2019 to January 18, 2020, Moonbyul requested to display an advertisement at Gwanghwamun Station Exit 3. The advertisement was a thank you gift to the MooMoos for always looking forward to her birthday.
- The last part featured the release of the MV ‘Snow’.
- Model for Arena Homme+ (March Edition) and Allure Korea (April Edition) in 2020.
- She said that for the lyrics of “Absence” she was inspired by the drama “Absence” The World of the Married “.
- Model for Elle Korea (May issue) in 2021.
Moonbyul made her official debut as a member of the female quartet MAMAMOO on June 19, 2014, being the main rapper of the group.
2018: Debut as a soloist with her First Single “Selfish”.
According to a media report on January 9, Seoul Gi completed the recording of Moon Byul’s solo song. RBW, in response to the news, confirmed it and added that the date for its release was undecided.
On April 11, several sources reported that Moon Byul would release her first solo single in early May. According to these sources, on April 10, filming was completed on her music video with Seoul Gi from Red Velvet.
In response to these reports, a source of RBW, confirmed that Moon Byul was preparing her solo album “She filmed a music video with Red Velvet’s Seul Gi, but the exact release date has not yet been determined.” it was also clarified that the album would not be released in early May.
On May 16, RBW announced that Moon Byul would release its first single, “Selfish” moon Byul participated in the rap creation of all the songs on the album.
“This is her first solo album since her debut, so she is trying her best to show a different side of herself. Please look forward to it.” commented the agency.
The single is comprised of three songs, the title track “Selfish” has the collaboration of Seoul Gi, “In My Room” and an acoustic version of “Love & Hate” from MAMAMOO’s 2017 mini-album, “Purple”.
“Selfish” is a word with a negative connotation behind the word in the dictionary, but it brings warm comfort and confidence to those who are losing their happiness by other people’s standards “Maybe it’s okay to be selfish sometimes and focus on my own happiness?” this is a lively and exciting song that conveys a serious message in it.
To celebrate the release of the music video for “Selfish” reached more than 1.22 million views, RBW Entertainment released the music video for “In My Room”.
“In My Room” is an R&B hip-hop song with lyrics that sing of the loneliness and emptiness one feels when returning home after being part of the busy and changing outside world.
The simple “Selfish” it was released in digital format and Kihno was not available to rank in Gaon Album Chart.
2020: Back with her First Mini-Album “Dark Side of the Moon”.
On December 13, 2019 at 12PM KST, MAMAMOO’s social media accounts released a teaser image for a new music video release for “Snow” this was scheduled to be released on December 13 at 8PM KST.
On December 21, 2019 at 12PM KST, MAMAMOO’s Twitter account announced a preview of “Snow” as the third part of Moon Byul’s “Miracle of Three Days Before Christmas”.
They added “The official audio for ‘Snow’ will be included on Moon Byul’s upcoming solo album, which she has been working hard to prepare, so hang tight!”.
It was announced that she would be releasing her first mini-album “Dark Side of the Moon” it will also release a pre-release single on February 14 at 6PM KST and will hold a solo concert on April 4 and 5.
On Feb. 1 KST, information was shared that its pre-release song “Weird Day” and with the collaboration of Punch.
“Weird Day” is a medium tempo song with bossa nova guitar and vintag synthesizer sounds, it was composed by composer Kang Ji Won. This song is about the emptiness that the person you love feels after a breakup, it’s the same every day, but today without anyone it’s kind of lonely.
On February 8 KST, the track listing for the mini-album was shared. The album contains a total of six songs, including “Snow” and, the pre-released single, “Weird Day” moon Byul participated as co-writer of the lyrics of the title song “Eclipse” , “Mirror” , “Moon Movie” and “Snow” she also co-composed “Mirror”.
“Eclipse” is a song that expresses the inner duality by comparing it to a ‘solar eclipse’ in which the moon blocks the sun and the image of two selves collide inside with an intense and forceful beat. It is a hip-hop dance song with a strong and forceful beat. The lyrics reveal its overwhelming presence through the clear contrast of ‘MONSTER’, which envelops the light with the darkness on the other side of the moon, and ‘MOONSTAR’, which promises to become a star and protect it from the darkness by shining brightly.
It entered the Melon list in 36th place and climbed to 20th place at 9AM on February 15. In addition, it also entered Genie, Flo and Bugs and took the top spot in Soribada.
It ranked #1 on the iTunes top albums list in four regions of the world, including Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Cambodia, which showed its strong global influence. It also ranked #2 in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, #4 in the Philippines and #5 in Mexico. It entered the TOP5 in 10 regions.
“Dark Side of the Moon” which ranked as the 4th best-selling album on its first day by a female solo artist, with 59K copies sold, behind only IU, Tae Yeon and Solar in its first week it surpassed 66k copies sold for Hanteo and 72,849 copies sold on Gaon Chart Monthly Album Sales.
Back with the “門OON” Repackage Mini-Album :rEPACKAGE”
On May 15 at 12PM KST, it was announced that it would release a repackage album “門OON: REPACKAGE”. may 29th at 6PM KST. It would be the repackaged version of their first mini-album “Dark Side of the Moon” which was released in February.
Repackaging “門OON: REPACKAGE”. will be released only in digital format and kihno, three new songs will be added, among them “Satellite” and the theme song “Absence” moon Byul co-wrote the lyrics of the title song.
“Absence” is an impressive song with sincere lyrics that resent the time of our hearts flowing differently as if we were still in the dark sea even when we were together. In addition to the emotional melodies of the piano and acoustic guitar, the synthesizer sound captures the precarious emotions.
2021: Renewal of contract with RBW
On January 22, RBW stated “Currently, Solar and Moon Byul have finished renewing with faith and anticipation, and we are also exchanging opinions positively with Whee In and Hwa Sa. As all members have great affection and pride for MAMAMOO, we anticipate positive results.”.
Back with the Pre-single “G999” and “Shutdown”.
On December 3 at 12PM KST, a video teaser was released titled “6ix” this confirmed previous hints to fans that she was preparing for a solo comeback.
On December 6 and 7 KST, it was announced that Moon Byul would officially make her comeback in January 2022 with her second mini-album, “6equence” but prior to its release, she confirmed that she would be releasing two pre-release singles in December, one featuring Mirani on December 13 and another with Seori december 30.
On December 8 KST, KST released a teaser for its first pre-release single “G999” in collaboration with Mirani which would be released on December 13 at 6PM KST.
“G999” it was composed and written by Seo Yong Bae and Park Hyun Kyu, Moon Byul and Mirani also participated in the writing of the lyrics.
Its second pre-release single “Shutdown” in collaboration with Seori which would be released on December 30 at 6PM KST.
“Shutdown” is an attractive song in the R&B genre that is not easily forgotten with its wonderful top line. In contrast with “G999” it stimulates curiosity and imagination with its hard-to-define relationships and metaphorical lyrics, immersing you in a brief moment.
2022: Back with her second mini-album “6equence”.
On December 23, 2021 at 12PM KST, the schedule was officially unveiled for their return on January 19 with their second mini-album “6equence”.
On January 10 at 12PM KST, the track list for the mini-album was shared “6equence” containing seven songs, among them the two pre-release songs that were released earlier, with the title track being “Lunatic” which also has an English version.
Moon Byul actively participated in the song work and conceptual planning, displaying a more colorful charm. Each track is organically connected and, building a solid narrative with the previous two pre-releases, the album itself increases immersion as if watching a short film and foretells unlimited transformation.
“Lunatic” is a house genre song that expresses the feelings of a couple in a relationship that started with the same amount of mutual affection but eventually became more and more one-sided.
- Xydo – 너 없는 난 (Feat. Moon Byul de MAMAMOO ) (2021)
- Bumkey – The Lady (Feat. Moonbyul) (2021)
- JeA – Greedyy (feat. Moonbyul) (2020)
- Punch – Say Yes (feat. Moonbyul) (2020)
- HA:TFELT – Happy Now (feat. Moonbyul) (2019).
- Yoo Sung Eun – Nothing (feat. Moonbyul) (2015)
Moonbyul (MAMAMOO) Music
- MoonByul 1st Ontact Live [門OON].
- 30 May 2020 – Naver – Vlive Mamamoo channel
Moonbyul (MAMAMOO) Drama
- Entourage (tvN, 2016) Ep. 1
- Start Love (NaverTV Cast, 2015)
Moonbyul (MAMAMOO) Advertisement
- 2021: Meritz Fire & Marine
- 2017: Babyliss
Moonbyul (MAMAMOO) Radio Programs
- Studio Moon Night (Naver.Now, 2021, as official DJ)
- Moonbyul’s AvenGirls (Naver.Now, 2020-2021, as official DJ)
- Sandeul’s Starry Night (MBC, 2019-2020, regular guest).
- Sandeul’s Starry Night (MBC, 2018, two appearances).
- EBS FM radio with Kisum (EBS, 18.12.2016, guest)
- Kpop Planet (KBS, 05.04.2015, guest)
Moonbyul (MAMAMOO) TV Programs
- Kick a Goal 2 (SBS, 2021, cast member)
- Amazing Saturday (tvN, 2021, next to Hwasa )ep.188
- Idol Star Dogs Championships (MBC, 2020) Chuseok Special
- Irene&Seulgi Level Up Thrilling Project (Wawe originals, 12.08.2020)
- Idol Star Athletics Championship (MBC, 2020) Lunar New Year Special
- Dog Cat Trip (Channel A, 2019) Ep.3
- Rewriting Chart Show Number 1 (MBC, 2019, besides Park Mikyung & Yeeun) Ep. 11
- In Sync (KBS2, 2019, as. cast member) Ep. 1-4
- King of Mask Singer (MBC, 2018, round 1 only). Ep. 179
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2018) Ep. 350
- It’s Okay To Go A Little Crazy (SBS, 01.04.2018) Ep. 19-20
- Idol Drama Operation Team (KBS2, 2017, as. cast member) Ep. 1-8
- Battle Trip (KBS2, 2017, with. Solar ) Ep. 74
- Beer Love Trip (Mobidic, 2017, as. cast member) Ep. 1-13
- Hello Counselor (KBS2, 2016, along with. Whee In ) Ep. 293
- Inkigayo (SBS, 2016, together with Whee In as a special MC)
- We Got Married (MBC, 2016, commentator).
- Star King (SBS, 2016, together with Hwa Sa and Whee In )
- Sugar Man (jTBC, 2015, together with Solar ) Ep. 6
- Hello Counselor (KBS2, 2014, along with Solar ) Ep. 185
Themes for TV Programs
- Deep Blue Eyes (as Girls Next Door) theme for Idol Drama Operation Team (2017)
- Half of Half (besides Gaho ) theme for Hanyang Diaries (2021)
Moonbyul (MAMAMOO) Music Videos
- Hwasa – Maria (2020) cameo
- Kim Jo Han – Y.O.U (2016). cameo